The Martensdale-St. Marys softball team will face East Union Friday at 7 p.m. in a Region 5 semi-final.
The Blue Devils defeated Grand View Christian 13-7 in second-round action Wednesday.
M-St. M started hot, scoring eight runs in the first inning and adding runs in the third and fifth before Grand View scored one in the fifth to make it 10-1. The Thunder scored six in the sixth, but M-St. M added three of their own to make the final score 13-7.
Brynnly German led the Blue Devils, with two hits and scoring three runs in the game. Madeline Young, Emily Hughes and Ellie Baker each scored twice and Sydney Bears, Anna Parrott and Jackie Kleve each scored once.
Hadley Pearson earned the win on the mound, throwing 5.1 pitches and allowing seven runs, one earned, on six hits. She allowed three walks and struck out three. Campbell Germany threw 1.2 innings, walking one and striking out four.
The win moves the Blue Devils to 22-3 on the season. East Union is 20-12 on the season and defeated East Lenox Wednesday to move to the next round.
In other second round action, Southeast Warren defeated Orient-Macksburg 12-0 to move on. The Warhawks will face Griswold Friday at 7 p.m. at the Southeast Warren.
- Warren County Fair team 'pinching ourselves' after successful fair week
- Second pilot hits power line as weather scrambles Classic schedule heading into the weekend
- ‘This is where I’ve dreamed of being’: McGraw and Wadle show swine grand champions
- Classic takes off with big crowds on opening weekend
- Robert J. Ford, Indianola
- County rescinds ATV ordinance in favor of state law
- Herbert Alan Dutcher, Indianola
- Pals and Johnson claim top beef honors in ‘tough’ competitions
- Iowa nursing home named one of the nation’s worst after emergency shut-down
- Local screening of 'Fighting Indians' to delve deeper into mascot issue