The Indianola High School boys swim team collected their 6th meet victory in a row Saturday at Des Moines East.
Indianola won eight of the 11 events and scored 336 team points to outdistance Cedar Rapids Jefferson (252) and four other teams for the victory. Indianola brought home top honors in all three team relays and in five of the eight individual races.
Indianola was paced in the pool by junior Nathan Pollard with four first-place finishes on the day. Junior Matt Coffelt and sophomore Billy Shepherd each earned three, while seniors Ben Mortvedit and Max Purvis contributed two. Seniors Peter Picard and Jonathan Watson and junior Chance Yates each contributed to one event victory.
Indianola head coach Bobby Shepherd said he was very pleased with his team's performance and is excited for their next meet.
"The entire team was phenomenal Saturday," said Shepherd.
"I'm actually optimistic that we might break the school record in the 200 Freestyle Relay vs Ankeny on Tuesday night," he continued. "This is going to be a tough home meet for us since the Ankeny squad is composed of swimmers from both Ankeny high schools. But knowing our team, they will definitely give it their all, no matter what."
The Indians host Ankeny Centennial at the Indianola YMCA on Tuesday, January 11. The first event begins at 5:30 pm.
Here are Indianola’s top finishers from Saturday's invitational:
200-Yard Medley relay
1. Indianola (Matt Coffelt, Nathan Pollard, Chance Yates, Billy Shepherd), 1:43.32
2. Matt Coffelt, Indianola, 1:51.44
6. Max Purvis, Indianola, 1:58.92
7. Peter Picard, Indianola, 2:00.96
200-Yard Individual Medley
1. Nathan Pollard, Indianola, 2:08.27
4. Brennen Severidt, Indianola, 2:19.92
8. Ethan Russell, Indianola, 2:31.11
1. Ben Mortvedt, Indianola, 23.50
5. Quentin Coffelt, Indianola, 24.87
6. Jonathan Watson, Indianola, 25.01
1. Nathan Pollard, Indianola, 55.41
4. Peter Picard, Indianola, 57.92
11. Hayden Lee, Indianola, 1:09.22
2. Max Purvis, Indianola, 51.94
4. Billy Shepherd, Indianola, 53.73
8. Logan Hoger, Indianola, 55.37
5. Brennen Severidt, Indianola, 5:49.90
7. Chance Yates, Indianola, 5:56.31
11. Ezra Schmidt, Indianola, 6:31.21
200-Yard Freestyle Relay
1. Indianola (Matt Coffelt, Max Purvis, Ben Mortvedt, Billy Shepherd) 1:32.35
1. Matt Coffelt, Indianola, 55.47
3. Logan Hoger, Indianola, 1:00.88
10. Sebastian Cooper, Indianola, 1:06.58
1. Jonathon Watson, Indianola, 1:09.10
2. Chance Yates, Indianola, 1:09.30
400-Yard Freestyle Relay
1. Indianola (Nathan Pollard, Peter Picard, Max Purvis, Billy Shepherd), 3:25.13