Get to know Simpson head men's soccer coach, Rick Isaacson, in our latest edition of Feature Friday. Isaacson recently led the Storm to a 16-4-2 campaign in 2019 to tie the program mark for most victories in a season.
In what city/state did you grow up in?
What college(s) did you attend?
• Luther College
Favorite professional sports team(s)?
• Chicago Cubs and Chicago Bears
• Right now it's Spencer Lee. Love everything about the way he competes.
Items you can't live without?
• Cell phone, coffee, the sauna and my coaching hat.
Favorite vacation spot?
• Scottsdale, Ariz.
Favorite spot on campus?
• Buxton Stadium
Favorite thing about Simpson?
• The people. There's a lot to like about Simpson, but the people that comprise our campus community sit atop the list.
• The best part of my life. My wife, Kelly, of 14 years and three children, Addison (11), Charlie (5) and Sloan (2).
What would you be doing if you were not coaching?
• I previously taught/coached at the high school level prior to coming to Simpson, but I think Zach Newcomer has a pretty awesome gig.
Best athletic moment?
• Three-way tie: Winning state championships as both a player (Urbandale, 1998) and as a coach (Ankeny, 2007), and making a run to the Elite 8 (Luther '01).
Who would play you in a movie?
• Joe Exotic
One thing people don't know about you?
• I'm the rare soccer guy that has an admiration for baseball. #GuiltyAsCharged
Hobbies outside of coaching?
• When not at work I'm with family. My hobbies are my children's hobbies right now. We stay busy with soccer, basketball, tee ball, softball, volleyball, dance, chorus and band.
Role model(s) and why?
• The obvious answer: My parents.
• The less obvious answer: Heath Moenck.